About the Role
Peer-reviewed publications are key to advancing evidence-based medicine; our Publications team help to communicate the results of clinical trials to the scientific community. We work closely with clients and world-renowned opinion leaders to plan how and when to communicate their data. This involves writing abstracts and manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals, and working alongside our in-house designers to prepare creative posters and oral presentations for international congresses.
Project Assistants support the Publications team with a wide-range of scientific, administrative and project management tasks. This is a varied role and in a typical week your time will be divided across multiple projects in several different disease areas. You will work alongside experienced team members who will provide training on the skills needed for successful project delivery.
You will have the opportunity to apply your scientific understanding to project work for clients on tasks including proofreading manuscripts, abstracts and posters, reformatting documents in line with journal submission deadlines. Alongside project work, administrative tasks may include purchasing articles, contacting academic authors and setting up project folders and project timelines. In addition, you will have the opportunity to identify and oversee enhancements to the current project management tools and processes used by the team and to play an increasing role in project management and co-ordination.
Responsibilities will include:
- Formatting, consistency and general quality control review of manuscripts, abstracts and posters
- Reformatting documents to ensure adherence to relevant journal and congress submission guidelines
- Supporting the accurate referencing of developing materials, including preparing reference packs as required
- Managing manuscript and abstract conference submissions
- Assisting Project Managers with client and author communication on multi-component projects, and the production of progress reports and summaries that enhance the level of customer service delivered
- Supporting the development of client proposals and tracking those sent and responded to
- Coordinating logistics and providing project support for events and meetings
- Organising team socials and other internal activities
- Adding project details to our management system and pulling reports
- Scheduling meetings, and recording minutes and coordinating their distribution
- Preparation of compliance documentation
- Liaising with external suppliers, including translation agencies
- Assisting the team with planning and the development of planning tools to optimise the productivity of the team and cross-collaboration between the team and other divisions
- Helping the project team to keep abreast of the latest potentially relevant sources of information to inform their project work
The ideal candidate will be proactive, innovative and eager to take on new challenges and responsibilities with an ambition to develop the role.
Skills and experience required:
- A degree level or equivalent qualification in a scientific discipline
- A flair for detail
- Professional oral and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent organisational skills
- The ability to respond to conflicting deadlines, work independently and self-manage your time
- A commitment to delivering excellent customer service
- A desire and aptitude for collaborative working across project teams would be highly desirable
No prior experience in scientific publications is required but you should have a strong interest and motivation to learn more about these projects and the healthcare sector in general.
What We Offer
The starting salary for the role is £24,000 – £26,000 depending on your previous experience. Please click here to learn about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.