We are recruiting for start dates throughout 2021, including July and September. Additional start dates may also available and you will be asked to state your availability on your application form. Please note that most of our new recruits will be based in our Global Headquarters in Cambridge, however we have a small number of opportunities available at our London office.
Health Economics and Statistics at Costello Medical
Our Health Economics and Statistics service offerings at Costello Medical have grown rapidly thanks to increased demand from both new and existing clients. Our Health Economists develop economic models to inform decisions on the efficient allocation of resources available to healthcare providers, and communicate these insights to a variety of stakeholders in the healthcare industry. These models are rigorous, quantitative assessments of the impact of healthcare treatments, practices and policies, either through cost-effectiveness analyses or separate cost and benefit considerations. Our Statistics team provide statistical and analytical expertise across Costello Medical, devising statistical analysis plans, performing data analysis and communicating the methodologies and results to drug and device manufacturers, doctors and reimbursement agencies. Output from their work contributes to a wide range of projects, including publications, value materials, health economic models and health technology assessment submissions.
About the Role
Project Assistants support our project teams with a wide range of administrative, project coordination and technical tasks. The role is therefore varied and, in a typical week, your time will be divided across both internal projects that contribute to the successful operation of the Health Economics and Statistics division, as well as multiple technical and scientific projects that will span several different disease areas.
You will play a key role in the smooth running of the team’s operation. You will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the latest operational and administrative processes within the Health Economics and Statistics division, as well as identifying and suggesting process improvements and changes to current ways of working, to enhance quality and efficiency within the division and, where appropriate, the wider company. You will also be the go-to person for divisional resources and will take responsibility for keeping these up-to-date.
Within this role, there is scope to grow and develop towards the roles of Senior Project Coordinator and then Account Support Manager. This may lead to you supporting managers, and specifically the Division Head, in ensuring the successful performance of the division, particularly in terms of resource planning and productivity, as well as supporting the division’s morale, motivation, training needs and wellbeing.
Initial responsibilities will depend on which projects you join, but are likely to include:
- Assisting the team with planning and developing of planning tools to optimise the productivity of the team and aiding cross-collaboration between the team and other divisions
- Assisting Project Managers with client and author communication on multi-component projects, and the production of progress reports and summaries that enhance the level of customer service delivered
- Formatting, consistency and general quality control review of technical documents, including reports, manuscripts, statistical analysis plans, model specification documents, abstracts and posters
- Supporting the accurate referencing of technical materials, including preparing reference packs
- Coordinating logistics and providing project support for advisory board and clinical validation meetings
- Supporting the development of client proposals and tracking those sent and responded to
- Ownership of tasks in our project management system to support the correct budgeting and invoicing of projects
- Scheduling meetings, recording minutes and coordinating their distribution
- Helping the project team to keep abreast of the latest potentially relevant sources of information to inform their project work, and keeping all divisional resources up-to-date
- Organising divisional monthly meetings, team socials and other internal activities
- Reviewing publications for relevance to planned economic and statistical analyses and extracting relevant data into Excel
- Writing up the methods and results of economic and statistical analyses into engaging reports
What is the Difference Between a Project Assistant and a Health Economist/Statistician?
Health Economists, Statisticians and Project Assistants share a similar level of responsibility, however the roles do differ significantly in terms of daily duties.
Our Health Economists and Statisticians employ mathematical and statistical analysis techniques, as well as advanced programming skills, to develop quantitative economic and statistical models, the results of which are then presented to, and used by, our clients.
Whilst working on the same projects across a variety of disease areas, Project Assistants use their scientific or technical knowledge to provide project management support and administrative help to project teams, allowing the timely delivery of high-quality work. Although Project Assistants will typically not be involved in performing the complex quantitative analysis that is central to Health Economics and Statistics projects, the role will require the ability to understand and interpret the output of such analyses. Additionally, Project Assistants work with senior colleagues within their division and colleagues from the Operations team to carry out internal administrative tasks, suggesting improvements and working to maximise efficiency within their teams.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, innovative, have a genuine interest in healthcare and be eager to take on new challenges and responsibilities with an ambition to develop the role. This role will suit those who have excellent attention-to-detail and organisational skills, and a talent for communication.
Skills and experience required:
- A degree level or higher qualification in a scientific or quantitative discipline (minimum 2.1), including but not limited to: mathematics, economics, physics, computer science, biology, chemistry, pharmacy or medicine
- A flair for, and attention to, detail
- Professional oral and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Excellent organisational skills and a passion for maintaining high levels of organisation across tasks and processes
- The ability to respond to conflicting deadlines, work independently and self-manage your time
- A commitment to delivering excellent customer service
- A desire and aptitude for collaborative working across project teams
- “Can do” approach, and the initiative, positivity and creativity required to continually improve services
You will receive close training and mentorship from experienced colleagues, so no prior experience is required.
What We Offer
The starting salary for the role is £26,000. Please click here to learn about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.