About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Payroll Manager who, with training from our experienced Finance team on our company and processes, can quickly develop to run our payroll processes independently. This will include the monthly payroll for the UK, where the majority of our >200 staff are based, as well as Singapore and China. You will also lead our fortnightly payroll for our US colleagues. Therefore, you should have in-depth knowledge of payroll procedures and regulations in the UK; experience of payroll processes in any of our other office locations would be beneficial.
As Costello Medical continues to grow rapidly, we are looking to upgrade our processes from being mainly Excel-based and heavily dependent on external suppliers, to being largely in-house which will include choosing and managing the set-up of a suitable software solution. The company is on a rapid growth trajectory and it is likely that we will be setting up offices and companies in other locations and countries within the next five years. Therefore, we are looking for a hands-on individual excited by such projects.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Independently managing the monthly (UK, Singapore and China) and fortnightly (US) payroll preparations (with external providers as appropriate). This includes managing the monthly payroll changes, administration of salary exchange schemes and other related benefits, pension scheme administration, month/year end payroll reporting, and maintaining accurate records
- Working in partnership with the People and Finance teams, ensuring all business processes that impact on payroll, such as starters, leavers and other changes, are delivered effectively
- Proactively handling first line internal and external payroll queries via email and telephone, and escalating where appropriate
Our ideal candidate will take pride in delivering an excellent service to colleagues and will thrive in a fast-paced environment. You will be a fast learner and have the capacity to drive improvements in our systems to keep pace with our exciting growth plans.
Essential requirements for the role include:
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience working on payroll within a busy environment
- Good knowledge of UK payroll and pensions legislation, including payroll procedures and laws and PAYE
- Experience working with payroll software systems
- Exceptional level of accuracy and attention to detail across both manual and systems based work
- A collaborative approach to work
- Strong organisational skills, including the ability to plan and prioritise your own time and communicate this to others. This will include a natural ability to coordinate, prioritise, multitask and respond to changing deadlines with little supervision
- The ability to suggest and execute improvements and efficiencies in processing, submitting suitable recommendations and implementing these
- A dedication to providing excellent customer service
- Discretion and professionalism when dealing with sensitive information
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- A can do attitude and the ability to adapt to a highly changeable environment
Desirable requirements for the role include:
- CIPP qualifications
- Experience executing the upgrade of a company’s payroll processes to a suitable (software) system
- Some knowledge of US, Singapore and/or China payroll processes
Please note that we are able to consider both full-time and part-time applicants for this role.
What We Offer
We offer a starting salary of £35,000 to £40,000 depending on your previous experience and pro rated for part-time candidates. Salary increases are typically awarded after 6 and 12 months and again on promotion, which can be achieved in as little as 12-18 months. Please click here to learn more about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.