About the Role
In order to support our growing client base in China, we are seeking a full-time Project Assistant with exceptional English and Mandarin language skills to support our team on a wide range of administrative, project coordination and scientific tasks. This role is therefore varied and, in a typical week, your time will be divided across both internal projects that contribute to the successful operation of our Singapore team, as well as multiple scientific projects in the healthcare sector that will span several different disease areas.
You will play a key role in the smooth running of the team’s operation. You will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the latest operational and administrative processes, as well as identifying and suggesting process improvements and changes to current ways of working, to enhance quality and efficiency within the team and, where appropriate, the wider company. You will also be the go-to person for team resources and will be responsible for keeping these up-to-date. You will work alongside experienced team members who will provide training on the technical aspects of project delivery and, as a result, you will gain a thorough understanding of how to conduct various projects across our different service offerings.
If you have an excellent attention to detail, enjoy organising and want to contribute your scientific skills to the successful delivery of a range of projects in the field of medical communications, then our Project Assistant role could be for you.
We are looking for those who have a keen interest in pioneering further expansion of the company into China. This is therefore a particularly exciting opportunity for an individual who is keen to help shape the future of Costello Medical and there may be opportunities to relocate to our Shanghai office in the future.
A strong component of the role involves providing support across project teams and you will be responsible for a range of administrative tasks which may include:
- Scheduling meetings, and recording minutes and coordinating their distribution
- Coordinating logistics and providing project support for events and meetings
- Assisting Project Managers with client and author communication on multi-component projects
- Assisting the team with resource planning to optimise productivity and cross-collaboration between divisions
- Supporting the development of client proposals and tracking those sent and responded to
- Assisting with the production of progress reports and summaries for clients that enhance the level of client communication and customer service delivered
- Managing the administrative aspects of projects such as article purchasing, subscription and membership renewals
- Adding project details to our management system and pulling reports
- Organising team socials and other internal activities
Project Assistants also work on several scientific tasks, which may include:
- Formatting, consistency and general quality control review and proofreading of manuscripts, abstracts and posters
- Reformatting documents to ensure adherence to relevant journal and congress submission guidelines
- Managing manuscript and abstract conference submissions
- Supporting the accurate referencing of materials by collating bibliographies and preparing reference packs for submission to clients and external agencies
- Running literature searches in electronic databases using platforms such as Ovid, Wiley, PubMed, Wan Fang and Google
- Screening records for relevance to research questions and extracting data from relevant publications into Excel
- Helping project teams to keep abreast of the latest information from potentially relevant sources to inform their project work
- Coordinating the submission of scientific materials for clients’ internal review, including the filing of compliance documents
What Are the Differences Between the Project Assistant and the Medical Writer/Analyst Roles?
Medical Writers, Analysts and Project Assistants share a similar level of responsibilities however the roles do differ significantly in terms of daily duties.
Medical Writers and Analysts conduct detailed analyses of scientific data to then create a variety of materials that are presented to, and used by, our clients.
Whilst working on the same projects across a variety of disease areas, Project Assistants use their scientific knowledge to provide project management support and administrative help to project teams, allowing the timely delivery of high quality work. Additionally, Project Assistants work with senior colleagues within project teams and colleagues from the Operations team to carry out internal administrative tasks, suggesting improvements and working to maximise efficiency within their teams.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, innovative, flexible and eager to take on new challenges and responsibilities with an ambition to develop in the role.
Essential requirements for the role are:
- Exceptional written and spoken fluency in Mandarin (equivalent to native Mandarin language skills) and excellent written and spoken fluency in English in order to deliver client work across Asia, with a focus on China
- A flair for, and attention to, detail
- Professional oral and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent organisational skills and a passion for maintaining high levels of organisation across tasks and processes
- The ability to respond to conflicting deadlines, work independently and self-manage your time
- A commitment to delivering excellent customer service, both to external clients and internal ‘customers’
- A desire and aptitude for collaborative working across project teams
- “Can do” approach, and the initiative, positivity and creativity required to continually improve services
A degree level qualification or prior work in a biological sciences discipline would be highly desirable but not essential.
You will receive close training and mentorship from experienced colleagues, so no prior experience in medical communications is required. However, you should have a strong interest and motivation to learn more about this field and the healthcare sector in general.
What We Offer
We offer a starting salary of S$3,500 per month, depending on qualifications and previous experience. Please click here to learn about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.