About the Role
The Japanese speaking Medical Writer/Analyst will be based in our Singapore office, and will work closely with our Asia-Pacific Head and the Asia-Pacific team, as well as collaborating with experts in our UK team.
We are looking for those with experience in scientific research and for enthusiastic recent graduates in the sciences, who possess exceptional English and Japanese language skills, and have a keen interest in pioneering future projects and driving business development in Japan. This is therefore a particularly exciting opportunity for an individual who is keen to help shape the future of Costello Medical.
Medical Writers and Analysts work on projects involving the detailed analysis of data from clinical trials and the assimilation and creative presentation of this analysis in different formats including posters, slide sets, value dossiers, reports and peer-reviewed publications. These deliverables are used directly by our clients in communication with external stakeholders instrumental to the successful uptake of novel therapies. The work is structured on a project-by-project basis and you will usually be working on several projects in different disease areas at any one time.
You will work in project teams alongside experienced colleagues in both the Singapore and UK offices, who provide one-to-one training in the technical aspects of the role, including project management and effective client communication. Delivering project work requires close collaboration with clients, and following a successful induction period you will increasingly participate in teleconferences and face-to-face meetings with external stakeholders. We are looking for ambitious individuals with the potential to progress rapidly into more senior roles involving greater project management and client responsibility.
Please see below to learn about the difference between Medical Writers and Analysts; please note that you will be asked to specify which role you are applying for in your application form.
Medical Writers work on a variety of projects across different specialties with a direct focus on written communication. In particular, Medical Writers specialise in the development of publications, which for this role will be delivered in both English and Japanese. Types of publications include abstracts, posters, oral presentations and manuscripts targeted at scientific journals and conferences. These projects require the ability to work closely with clients and prominent doctors to deliver high quality writing which is scientifically rigorous and in line with the strategic positioning of the pharmaceutical or medical devices product. The role requires constant dedication to customer service and developing strong relationships with clients, academics, and healthcare professionals in Japan and globally.
Outside of publications, Medical Writers also work on other projects, including developing slide sets for educational events or advisory boards as well as developing reports and other written materials.
Analysts work across a variety of projects and specialise in document types and formats such as educational materials, slide sets, value dossiers, reimbursement submissions and literature review reports.
In a typical week you could be working on a slide set summarising the epidemiology of type 2 diabetes in Japan, preparing the first draft of a manuscript on a Phase III trial of a new treatment for stroke patients and working alongside our Health Economists to adapt a cost-effectiveness model for a client in Japan or other Asian countries. You will prepare materials in English and Japanese. The materials you prepare will be used directly by pharmaceutical companies to communicate with stakeholders who are instrumental to the successful uptake of novel therapies.
What Background Should You Have?
- A degree level or higher qualification in a scientific discipline (minimum 2.1). We welcome applications from candidates with a diverse range of specialisms, including but not limited to; biology, chemistry, pharmacy and medicine
- Exceptional written and spoken fluency in Japanese (equivalent to native Japanese language skills)
- Business-level written and spoken English
- An ability to communicate scientific materials clearly in both written and oral form
- Excellent understanding of and ability to apply scientific concepts
- Close attention to detail
- Aptitude for and experience of scientific writing which could include dissertations, research summaries, lab reports, poster or oral presentations, peer-reviewed scientific publications, book chapters, grant applications, regulatory documents, and articles for websites or student magazines
- Competency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Organisational skills and the ability to work across multiple projects at the same time
- Previous experience in this sector, including in the Japanese healthcare system, is highly desirable. You should have a genuine interest in healthcare and an eagerness to learn about new areas of clinical science
What We Offer
We offer a competitive starting salary dependent on your experience. Please click here to learn about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.