About the Role
If you have excellent attention to detail, enjoy organising and want to contribute your scientific skills to the successful delivery of a range of projects in the field of medical communications then our Project Assistant vacancy could be for you.
A strong component of the role involves providing support across project teams and you will be responsible for a range of administrative tasks which may include:
- Scheduling and recording minutes for relevant meetings and coordinating their distribution
- Assisting the team with resource planning to optimise productivity and cross-collaboration between divisions
- Supporting the development of client proposals and tracking those sent and responded to
- Assisting in the production of progress reports and summaries for clients that enhance the level of client communication and customer service delivered
- Assisting Project Managers with client and author communication on multi-component projects
- Coordinating logistics and providing project support for events and meetings
- Organising team socials and other internal activities
- Adding project details to our management system and pulling reports
Project Assistants also work on several scientific tasks, which may include:
- Formatting, consistency and general quality control review of manuscripts, abstracts and posters
- Reformatting documents to ensure adherence to relevant journal and congress submission guidelines
- Managing manuscript and abstract conference submissions
- Collating bibliographies within large documents and preparing the reference packs for submission to clients and external agencies
- Supporting the accurate referencing of developing materials, including preparing reference packs as required
- Screening records for relevance to research questions and extracting data from relevant publications into Excel
- Running literature searches in electronic databases using platforms such as Ovid, Wiley, PubMed and Google
- Purchasing articles and contacting academic authors to request copies of congress posters and oral presentations
- Helping the project team to keep abreast of the latest potentially relevant sources of information to inform their project work
Costello Medical is structured into divisional teams focusing on distinct medical communications and health economics services or serving a specific sector within the healthcare industry. All Project Assistants can work cross-divisionally to develop a broad understanding of the company’s services and clients, but if you have an interest in joining a specialised division you will be encouraged to specify this on our application form.
HTA and Health Economics
The HTA and Health Economics team at Costello Medical specialise in projects related to understanding and conveying the clinical and cost-effectiveness of new therapies. This frequently involves the preparation of dossiers and economic models for submission to health technology assessment (HTA) agencies such as the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), in order to provide evidence to support the reimbursement of new therapies for use on the NHS. Amongst other project types, the HTA and Health Economics team also prepare health economic manuscripts for journal publication and various types of economic models to support the launch and uptake of pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
The Evidence Development team deliver projects involving the identification of clinical, economic and real-world evidence to help pharmaceutical companies answer important questions, including:
- What is the burden of a particular disease to patients, the healthcare system and society?
- How are patients currently treated, and how effective and safe are those treatments?
- What value could a new treatment bring to patients, society and the NHS?
The evidence identified can be used to support the approval of new medicines for use by patients on the NHS; strategic decisions taken by pharmaceutical companies when designing clinical trials; and understanding the positioning of competitor products on the market.
Medical Affairs provides the scientific bridge between clinical development and commercial functions in pharmaceutical and device companies. Most activities have a strong patient and/or healthcare professional (HCP) focus, and act to educate and inform clinical decision making and patient care, or to gather insights from key healthcare stakeholders that inform a product’s clinical development. This includes the delivery of educational events, activities and materials aimed at healthcare professionals, internal training content and engagement at large, international congresses.
Peer-reviewed publications are key to advancing evidence-based medicine; by joining our Publications team, you will help to communicate the results of clinical trials to the scientific community. Our team works closely with clients and world-renowned opinion leaders to plan how and when to communicate their data. This involves writing abstracts and manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals, and working alongside our in-house designers to prepare creative posters and oral presentations for international congresses.
Manufacturers of medical devices and diagnostics face different challenges to pharmaceutical companies, and therefore we have a dedicated team that supports this distinct sector of the healthcare industry. Our team helps medical device manufacturers in bringing new technologies to market, and communicating the value of their brand. By joining this team, you will work alongside a broad range of clients in the MedTech sector and gain an understanding of the delivery of all our service offerings.
Skills and Experience Required:
- A-level or an equivalent qualification in one or more scientific subjects
- An excellent attention to detail
- Professional oral and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent organisational skills
- The ability to respond to conflicting deadlines, work independently and manage your time
- A commitment to delivering excellent customer service
- A desire and aptitude for collaborative working across project teams
A degree level or equivalent qualification in a scientific discipline would be highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, innovative and eager to take on new challenges and responsibilities.
What We Offer
The starting salary for the role will be between £24,000 and £26,000 depending on prior experience. Please click here to learn about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.
How to Apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter via our online application form. In your cover letter you should explain why you think you would be suited to the Project Assistant role and why you would like to join Costello Medical.