About the Role
Location: Cambridge (with option to work from London/home one day per week and with potential relocation in the future)
Our Publications Division with ~20 team members provide services including strategic publication planning, manuscript and abstract development and submission, poster design and layout, KOL liaison and management, and congress support. The Head of Publications will be responsible for the successful operation and development of all aspects of the division. This will involve ensuring the quality of deliverables and the building of client relationships externally, as well as the management and motivation of the team.
The role incorporates responsibility for project and team leadership, client management and business development to realise the expansion of the division’s client base and service offerings. As a member of the leadership team, the Head of Publications will also take an active role in shaping and delivering the strategy of the company as a whole.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing a business development strategy to secure repeat and new business, including the targeting of global publication plans
- Enhancing existing service offerings to maintain Costello Medical’s position as a true expert in the field
- Identifying and developing new service offerings and seeing these through to fruition
- Establishing and maintaining excellent relationships with clients and other external stakeholders such as expert advisors, authors and opinion leaders
- Making resourcing decisions, identifying recruitment needs and partnering with the HR team to ensure that needs are met
- Working with other Division Heads to ensure cross-divisional collaboration, optimal resource planning across the company, and the sharing of expertise
- Ensuring the division is productive and profitable, and monitoring the future revenue streams for financial and resource planning purposes
- Managing, training and mentoring of all members of the division, encouraging and supporting high performance, while ensuring excellent morale and levels of engagement within the team and wider company
- Maintaining and promoting a culture of positivity within and outside of the division and one that is aligned with the company’s core values of innovation, fun, quality, integrity, support, and talent and opportunity
- Determining, in collaboration with the leadership team, the strategic direction of the division, and the company, and implementing a plan to achieve this
What Background Should You Have?
Required skills and experience:
- Strong scientific and analytical capabilities. A minimum 2.1 in a scientific degree discipline is required and postgraduate qualifications and training would be highly desirable
- Excellent written and spoken English, with a real flair for scientific writing and visual data presentation, and exceptional attention to detail
- Significant experience of delivering medical publications projects in an in-house or agency setting
- Excellent technical and strategic knowledge to provide clients with project content and strategic recommendations on publication planning
- A strong drive to deliver work of the highest quality, and outstanding customer service
- Exceptional project management skills to lead the delivery of projects, and to oversee a high volume of projects managed by others
- Ability to maintain exceptional customer service and quality of deliverables under multiple competing demands, and to ensure this standard is being met across the division
- Ability to motivate a team and effectively line manage senior colleagues
- Excellent leadership skills
- Ability to understand financial reports and forecasts and utilise them in strategic decision-making
- Entrepreneurial dynamism and drive, combined with a passionate desire to capitalise swiftly and fully on opportunities for personal and business success
Training for the successful candidate will be tailored based on their prior experience, and will include close mentoring from the leadership team on internal processes, including the financial management of the division, and our people management ethos.
For a confidential discussion about the opportunity with Laura Silk, Head of Finance and Operations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org attaching your CV and this can be arranged.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary depending on experience; generous performance-based bonuses paid bi-annually
- 25 days’ holiday with the option to increase this to a maximum of 29 days per year, in addition to bank holidays
- 4% employer pension contributions, including salary exchange scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible benefits package
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Support for external training
How to Apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter via our online application form. In your cover letter you should explain why you think you would be suited to the role and why you would like to join Costello Medical.