About the Role
The Biostatistician will be responsible for providing statistical and analytical expertise across Costello Medical, devising statistical analysis plans and performing data analysis within Excel, SAS, R and WinBUGS. The Biostatistician will also be responsible for communicating the methodologies used and the results in both written and oral formats to drug and device manufacturers, doctors and reimbursement agencies such as NICE in the UK. The statistical analysis will vary across patient-level clinical trial data, observational study data, real-world data and published aggregate data, and will involve a range of techniques such as basic statistical analysis of individual patient data, regression analysis, survival analysis and Bayesian network meta-analysis using both standard and emerging techniques (training on methods that are unfamiliar to the successful candidate will be provided). The Biostatistician will typically be working on several projects at one time and the results of their analysis could feed into publications, value materials, health economic models or health technology assessment submissions (eg. submissions to NICE). The Biostatistician will therefore be exposed to a wide variety of the services offered by Costello Medical and a broad range of therapeutic areas.
The successful applicant will be someone who shows the potential to progress rapidly and who, with close mentoring, could take on project management and client responsibility in six to twelve months. The Biostatistician will work closely with Consultants across all specialities to ensure that any statistical elements of projects are completed to an exceptionally high standard, in a timely fashion and in line with client expectations. This will involve interaction with clients by teleconference, email and in person. Some client meetings and congresses take place outside the UK, which presents opportunities for overseas travel.
Essential requirements for the role are:
- A degree level or higher qualification in a scientific or mathematical discipline (minimum 2.1) is required, although a Masters or PhD would be highly advantageous. A focus on statistics and data analysis is essential
- A good understanding of the SAS programming language and R programming language. A willingness to trial, explore or recommend new software that may suit specific projects would also be useful
- The successful applicant will have the technical and mathematical ability, coupled with the written and oral communication skills, to explain complex techniques and results to non-experts
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail is necessary, along with the ability to maintain a high level of customer service and the scientific quality of deliverables under multiple competing demands. You should possess the flexibility to respond to changing deadlines
- The ability to use your initiative and work independently, in addition to working collaboratively within project teams
- Excellent written English is fundamental; this will be assessed during the selection process
Desirable requirements for the role are:
- Knowledge of CDISC, SDTM and ADaM
- Experience in and/or knowledge of clinical processes or trials
- Awareness of international standards for statistical analysis, such as the ICH Statistical Principles for Clinical Trials
What We Offer
The starting salary for the role is £25,000 – £32,000. Please click here to learn about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.
How to Apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter via our online application form. In your cover letter you should explain why you think you would be suited to the role and why you would like to join Costello Medical. Your CV should clearly state your undergraduate degree class and grade of pass in any subsequent degree(s), along with your visa status and eligibility to work in the UK (we regret that we are currently unable to sponsor non-EEA nationals).