Who We Are
We were founded in Cambridge, UK, in 2008, and enjoyed rapid growth, driven by the demand for our expertise from clients in Europe and North America. Our excellent reputation enabled us to establish our Asia-Pacific office in Singapore, in 2014. Further expansion of the company is anticipated over the coming years, with potential additional offices in China, Japan and the US.
About the Role
The Mandarin speaking Medical Writer/Analyst will be based in our Singapore office, and will work closely with our Asia-Pacific Head and the Asia-Pacific team, as well as collaborating with experts in our UK team.
We are looking for those with experience in scientific research and for enthusiastic recent graduates in the sciences, who possess exceptional English and Mandarin language skills, and have keen interest in pioneering further expansion of the company into China. This is therefore a particularly exciting opportunity for an individual who is keen to help shape the future of Costello Medical.
Medical Writers and Analysts work on projects involving the detailed analysis of data from clinical trials and the assimilation and creative presentation of this analysis in different formats including posters, slide sets, value dossiers, reports and peer-reviewed publications. These deliverables are used directly by our clients in communication with external stakeholders instrumental to the successful uptake of novel therapies. The work is structured on a project-by-project basis and you will usually be working on several projects in different disease areas at any one time.
You will work in project teams alongside experienced colleagues, who provide one-to-one training in the technical aspects of the role, including project management and effective client communication. Delivering project work requires close collaboration with clients, and following a successful induction period you will increasingly participate in teleconferences and face-to-face meetings with external stakeholders.
Please see below to learn about the difference between Medical Writers and Analysts; please note that you will be asked to specify which role you are applying for in your application form.
Medical Writers work on a variety of projects across different specialties with a direct focus on written communication. In particular, Medical Writers focus on the development of publications in both English and Mandarin (abstracts, posters, oral presentations and manuscripts) targeted at scientific journals and conferences. These projects require the ability to work closely with clients and prominent doctors to deliver high quality writing which is scientifically rigorous and in line with the strategic positioning of the pharmaceutical or medical devices product. The role also requires constant dedication to customer service and developing strong relationships with the clients, academics, and healthcare professionals in China and globally.
Outside of publications, Medical Writers also work on other projects, including developing slide sets for educational events or advisory boards as well as developing reports and other written materials.
Analysts work across a variety of projects and specialise in document types and formats such as educational materials, slide sets, value dossiers, reimbursement submissions and literature review reports. In a typical week, you could be working on a slide set summarising the epidemiology of type 2 diabetes in Mandarin, supporting a client at an onsite educational event in China and working alongside our Health Economists to adapt a cost-effectiveness model for a client in the Asia-Pacific region.
What Background Should You Have?
- A degree level or higher qualification in a scientific discipline (minimum 2.1). We welcome applications from candidates with a diverse range of specialisms, including but not limited to; biology, chemistry, pharmacy and medicine
- Exceptional written and spoken fluency in Mandarin (equivalent to native Mandarin language skills)
- Excellent written and spoken fluency in English
- An ability to communicate scientific materials clearly in both written and oral form
- Excellent understanding of and ability to apply scientific concepts
- Close attention to detail
- Aptitude for and experience of scientific writing which could include dissertations, research summaries, lab reports, poster or oral presentations, peer-reviewed scientific publications, book chapters, grant applications, regulatory documents, and articles for websites or student magazines
- Competency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Organisational skills and the ability to work across multiple projects at the same time
- Previous experience in this sector, including in the Chinese healthcare system, is highly desirable. You should have a genuine interest in healthcare and an eagerness to learn about new areas of clinical science
How to Apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter via our online application form. In your cover letter you should explain why you think you would be suited to the role and your reasons for wishing to join the Singapore office of Costello Medical as a Bilingual Mandarin Medical Writer or Analyst. You should also indicate where you originally saw the position advertised. Your CV should clearly state your undergraduate degree class, grade of pass in any subsequent degree(s), and grade of pass in any Mandarin language examinations you have undertaken, along with your nationality and details about your eligibility to work in Singapore. We are able to support employment pass applications for successful candidates.
You are advised to submit your application early, as the role will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate has been found.